- Drink less soda and more water.
- If you can't brush after snacks, rinse with water to dilute acids in the mouth.
- Work in some healthy snacks around those Valentine's Day treats. Snacks such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt cheese or fruit are great alternatives. Low sugar foods are a good preventative measure against tooth decay.
- Limit the amount of sweets you eat. Caramels and gummies are among the worst because of their high sugar content and retentive properties, which cause the bacteria in your mouth to produce acids that can cause tooth decay.
- Floss at least once a day to promote healthy gums.
- Brush thoroughly twice a day to reduce the damage sugar can cause.
If you wear a denture, its still a good idea to follow the above precautions. Dentures must be brushed daily to remove food deposits and plaque. It's best to use a brush designed for cleaning dentures. A soft-bristled brush can also be used.